Friday, June 8, 2007

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 2.0

This car was purchased to replace the Audi show car because I had decided at the time to go down to Texas to pursue my masters degree in business. I had contacted students who have already gone there from Vancouver and they said a car is a necessity there, but I was not willing to make the trip with my show Audi. Nor was I willing to keep the Audi down there for the duration of my studies not knowing what type of neighborhood I was to live in, or if there would be secured parking.

The timing couldn't have been better. A very good friend of mine was about to head east for schooling as well, and would not be taking the car with him. I had known the entire history of this Jetta since I went to the dealership with him when he purchased it new. So almost as soon as I had sold the Audi, I bought the Jetta from him.

And the roadtrip car began its journey with my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I. Soon after I purchased the car, I had installed a new Blaupunkt deck with auxulary input which matched the factory indigo/red dash lighting perfectly, and an DC to AC inverter in the car. The above were used to power the laptop in the car during our roadtrips, and listen to the MP3 collection we had on the hard-drive through the car's stereo. Even before going down to Texas, it had already made a warmup trip to the Okanagans. And aside from the roadtrip to and from Texas, which included trips to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Grand Canynon, and more, it also made many trips between Victoria, Houston, and Dallas. The Jetta even made an appearance during the 2002 spring break in New Orleans, Louisiana.

I had purchased the Jetta with such low mileage that by the time I returned from my studies in Texas, the car only had a somewhat normal mileage for a car its age. And because my friend sold it to me for a very good price, I was able to sell this car before heading off to Asia for work with very little depreciation considering the usage I got out of it. So Thanks buddy! You know who you are!