Wednesday, May 11, 2011

2007 Honda Fit LX

My Mazda had stopped running. It was a simple matter of too much dielectric grease in the rebuilt distributor's ignition module. But it was something that took months to finally track down. In the meantime, I needed a replacement as the Mazda was the only car. We decided to go for something a bit more worry-free. So the search began.

I wanted a small hatchback for sure, as my wife and I need to carry odd size cargo often as space/furniture designers. We considered most of the smaller 4 door hatchbacks; Mazda3 was a little too pricy at this point, Yaris is way too small. The Nissan Versa's rear seats didn't fold flat, Matrix is likely going to be replaced soon. the Kia Rio5 was a pleasant surprise, but resale vale would not be nearly as good. The Aveo/Kalos/Swift+ just felt too cheap, and Suzuki just doesn't sound good in Taiwanese, so no SX4. In the end, we paid MSRP for the high demand Honda Fit, but was able to skip the long wait list thanks to my good friend at the dealership. It looks like a mini-minivan, but it's extremely practical, and we've amazed many furniture warehouse workers and clients with the amount of stuff we can fit in this car.

Even though this is suppose to be just the practical people/cargo transporter for us, the available parts for this car is tempting me to play with this car. I've resisted the urge so far, and have only added useful items. But we'll see how long it lasts. My tight financial situation right now certainly helps control the urges though.

A little over 5 years go by, and I had finally made the decision to sell the Fit. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, during the entire ownership, I didn't have a single issue with this car. Oil and filter changes, brake pads, and tires were all that was required. Oh, and a new battery at the end since I had left it parked for so long.

Basically, since the baby arrived, I had almost been exclusively driving the Sienna. When the insurance on the van was up for renewal, I just ended up transferring the Fit's insurance over to the minivan, and putting the Fit into storage policy. Another a bit over half a year of basically not driving the Fit, I decided there was no point keeping it parked. It's a great little car. Someone might as well enjoy it if it's not going to be me.

I wanted to find a nice new home for the Fit. It was the least I can do. So I posted it on my Facebook page to offer it exclusively to my friends first. Sure enough, a great friend who I've known since highschool needed a new car. So we worked out a good deal and off the Fit went to its new home. I'm just glad it stayed "in the family" so to speak. I can also go and see the little Fit whenever I want. And who knows, maybe she'll let me drive it once in a while.

As far as mods go, by the time I sold it, this little car which was not gonna see any mods, had Honda EM1 Civic wheels, JDM mirrored passenger side sun visor, JDM window visors, JDM style smoked LED taillamps, and Bi-Xenon HID headlights installed. I kept a blog for this car. It's called Having A Fit documenting my ownership experience, maintenance log, and modifications. Feel free to check it out.